Michigan City pub closed after fire

Wednesday, 5th October, 2011

Within 16 minutes after being dispatched, Michigan City firefighters extinguished a kitchen grease fire Tuesday afternoon at Ryan’s Irish Pub, 401 Franklin Square.

The local tavern, however, whose kitchen sustained heavy damage from the fire, was subsequently shut down because electrical issues resulting from the fire must be resolved before it can reopen, according to Jeff Santana, Michigan City Fire Department public-information officer.

Station 1 firefighters were dispatched to the tavern at 2:53 p.m., arriving at 2:57 p.m., Santana said. The fire was under control by 3:09 p.m.

According to Santana, a fryer in the kitchen overflowed with grease, “and before long, they had a grease fire in the kitchen.” Ryan’s staff immediately called 911.

Smoke and fire damage was heavy. “They’ll be getting a new kitchen,” Santana said.

NIPSCO and Michigan City Fire Department Fire Marshal Kyle Kazmierczak inspected the scene afterward, and in addition to needing a new kitchen, Santana said, Ryan’s will have to take care of the resulting electrical issues.

Santana commended the 17 firefighters and four fire department staff personnel present, as well as Michigan City police and EMS who assisted at the scene, for the speed with which the situation was handled.

Source: Andrew Tallackson, heraldargus.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s