I came up with this list a few years back when working with a client that couldn’t seem to hire the right staff and always had the worst bartenders!
What is the difference between a Good Bartender or a Bad Bartender? We’ve all been upset at poor service but equally I know when I get good service, I remember it! So what are the things that annoy or impress us?
A good Bartender:
- Always acknowledges customers at the bar.
- Can take more than one order at a time.
- Pours the pint of Guinness first when dispensing a large order.
- Puts your change in your hand and not on the bar counter.
- Offers to carry the drinks to the table for you when necessary.
- Can explain the difference between different quarter bottles of wine.
- Takes pride in their uniform.
- Prepares sufficient lemon slices in the morning.
- Does not raise their eyes to heaven when asked for an Irish Coffee.
- Knows how to change ashtrays (outside these days..) without ash flying everywhere.
- Does not put their fingers into glasses when clearing tables.
- Knows what’s going on in the area when asked by customers.
- Knows a number for local taxis.
- Takes orders from customers in rotation, without leaving anyone waiting longer than others.
- Asks if the customer would like ice in their mineral water.
- Asks if ice and/or lemon are required in vodka/gin/bacardi.
- Knows how to clean the draftt lines (even though he doesn’t have to any more…).
- Understands the importance of discretion.
- Presents the pint glass with the logo facing you.
- Holds glasses a couple of inches below the rim when serving.
- Thanks customers for their business when they are leaving.
- Asks customers if they would like another drink when the glass is almost empty.
A bad Bartender
- Talks to some customers at length while others are left waiting.
- Never washes their hands despite handling glasses by the rim.
- Arrives late and leaves early.
- Is always wondering when they can get their “staff drink”.
- Doesn’t record or care about waste.
- Takes orders from the pretty girls first.
- Dispenses free drinks to the pretty girls “on the house”.
- Adds ice and lemon to drinks as standard.
- Lets the tap run for a second or two before placing the glass underneath.
- Adjusts the gas setting of each tap before pouring a pint.
- Scratches their head and their face during service.
- Doesn’t wear full uniform.
- Encourages friends to drink in the bar when (s)he is on duty.
- Leaves the Cash Drawer open in the cash register.
- Never gives a receipt.
- Hates the thought of serving food.
- Doesn’t know what cutlery/condiments are needed for each dish/drink served.
Can anybody add to the list?